Re: autorevert.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: autorevert.el
Date: 25 Mar 2004 09:21:55 +0200

> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:20:20 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> Note that apparently, stat is only supposed to return a well defined
> value for st_size for regular files and for symbolic links, not for
> directories.

The glibc manual keeps silence about directories, but in fact, at
least to the best of my knowledge, st_size does return the size of
the directory file on GNU/Linux and other Posix-compliant systems.

> You told me it returns a meaningful value on ms-dos.

The standard C library used to build Emacs on MS-DOS simply tries to
do its best to return some meaningful value for a directory's size.

>    (In general, I'm opposed to planting into Emacs user-level features
>    implicit assumptions about Posix-specific behavior, in this case, that
>    a directory is just another file.  Yes, I know: Emacs is being
>    developed primarily for Posix-compliant platforms, bla, bla...)
>
> And I'm opposed to planting into Emacs user-level features implicit
> assumptions about MS-DOS-port-specific behavior

So am I; see my other message in this thread from a few minutes ago.

>    I don't see how adding a call to file-attributes is a big deal that
>    needs a call for volunteers,
>
> It is not.  See the patch below.

Thank you.