Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Jari Aalto
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:16:50 +0200

* Thu 2004-03-25 Danilo Segan <dsegan <AT> gmx.net> mail.default.spool
| Exactly, and it would be even better if it was bound to next-error ...

[snip]

And your argument to help handling PHP and other web programming
languages errors - which print error line numbers in web page - was
....?

next-error is useless in those an in many other cases with shell
tools, other programs, other utilities spit out line numbers.

M-g is it, goto-line it it.

Using next-line is not the solution. It some weird way of seeing it
"all done Emacs way". Th reality is not  "all Emacs way", although
we might want it.

| ... there's such a need for goto-line only
| because other Emacs features which are the right way are not exposed
| enough: so, we need to expose them instead, not to expose goto-line.

Wrong assumption. You assume that Emacs has all the answers. It hasn't
User got a problem. And he wants Emacs to answer it. next-error won't
do it, but goto-line will

Imagine those web programming error lines in Web pages. Imagine lint
tools, commercial ones, free ones, lines of obscure error message
lines with line numbers. Imagine legacy of other sysadm tools; home
grown and others. Picture it. It's not "all Emacs" or even "educate
users to use Emacs better".

Emacs will never be able to support all those, every variation, every
new tool, every user script. But M-g, goto-line would be there. Ah,
how relaxing that would be.

Jari

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/