Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:53:06 +0000 (GMT)

On 25 Mar 2004, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Second, it is unlikely that new Emacs user, or even experienced one
>>> seldom uses this keybinding. I have yet to find use for this
>>> functionality (= never used in my Emacs lifetime).

>> My $0.02: I use it whenever I use Enriched Text mode.

>So you mean that the current M-g binding should be moved from global-map to
>enriched-mode-map ?  Agreed.

Please don't!  Maybe I'm one of the few who _does_ use M-g d regularly
(and occasionally M-g M-g).

I keep a log of my hacking activities (tends to be in fundamental-mode
most of the time ;-), and I frequently copy text from an Elisp buffer to
my log.  Irritatingly, the font-locking gets copied along with it, so I'm
grateful for M-g d.

However, I too think that goto-line should have a binding, and M-g is a
good binding for it.  How about moving `facemenu-keymap' to C-M-g?  C-M-g
is currently unused, I think.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
address@hidden