Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:49:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Per Abrahamsen wrote:

>Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> C-c C-c is currently globally unbound and I suggest we bind it to `compile'.

>The would violate the separation of keyspace between major modes and
>Emacs.  I would support changing the the major mode binding in cc-mode
>to compile.  It is currently bound to "comment-region", which is a
>waste, since comment-region has a global binding (M-;).

No it hasn't.  M-; is globally bound to `comment-dwim', an almost, but
not quite, entirely unlike operation, except when transient-mark minor
mode is enabled.  In CC Mode, C-c C-c is bound to `comment-region'.

`compile' does not belong by default in a language mode's key binding
space, because it is not part of manipulating the text of that language.
If anything, `compile' should be in the global map, and tailored to each
mode where it is useful.  In my not so humble opinion, of course.  ;-)

Surely in this discussion, CC Mode should have priority over the use of
this binding because of its name.  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
address@hidden