Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:16:41 -0500

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:29:08PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> > Really, if there are any more C-c C- C- C- key combinations, my hand
> > will retire soon. The first proposal of "C-c c" prefix is much more
> > friendly to wrists.
>
> I can't remember any such proposal, and it would not go through,
> anyway, since C-c letter combinations are reserved for the user.

In any case Jari's comment seems just plainly wrong -- it's _much_ easier to
type multiple keystroke bindings if all keys in the sequence use the same
modifier: e.g., to type C-c C-c C-c, just (1) hold down the the control key
with one finger, and (2) hit `c' three times with the other finger.

By contrast, e.g. the binding `C-c c c' is _harder_ to type, because the
release of the control key is must be made precisely between the first and
second keystrokes, which in my experience slows down typing considerably.

[BTW, I don't like the `C-c C-c'-as-a-prefix suggestion though -- bindings
shouldn't be used as prefixes in some modes and as non-prefixes in others.]

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.