Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:02:16 +0200

* Fri 2004-03-26 Miles Bader <miles <AT> gnu.org> gmane.emacs.devel
* <http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&address@hidden>
| On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:29:08PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
|
| > > Really, if there are any more C-c C- C- C- key combinations, my hand
| > > will retire soon. The first proposal of "C-c c" prefix is much more
| > > friendly to wrists.
| >
| > I can't remember any such proposal, and it would not go through,
| > anyway, since C-c letter combinations are reserved for the user.
|
| In any case Jari's comment seems just plainly wrong -- it's _much_ easier to
| type multiple keystroke bindings if all keys in the sequence use the same
| modifier: e.g., to type C-c C-c C-c, just (1) hold down the the control key
| with one finger, and (2) hit `c' three times with the other finger.

This assumes, that one indeed uses two hand on keyboard.

I use left hand on keyboard and right hand on mouse almost 90 % of the
time. I have found it more efficient and faster.  In cases, where it's
impossible to reach keys with left hand I have to shift both hands to
keyboard.

So, which one is "easier" depends how one uses it.

To throw another perspective, think about disabled persons which may
not have good hand coordination or strength. Keeping keys down is
harder that using non-modifier keys:

        C-c c c    vs.  C-c C-c C-c

Jari