Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:52:22 -0500 (EST)

    > I don't know of other environments than Sun and COTS PC's.
    > On the PC's I run there is _always_ a Windows-key ...

My commercial of the shelf personal computer does not have a key
labeled `Windows'.

It does have two keys labeled `Alt' and two keys labeled `Ctrl'.  I
have have rebound the right hand pair to Super and Hyper respectively.
It might make sense to add more bindings to the Super key.

However, I do not know how easy it would be to ensure a Super binding
on all the keyboards that Emacs people use.  My impression is that
Emacs does not have to do anything about keyboards in which the Meta
key is misleadingly labeled Alt, except that the documentation needs
to explain that the key label is misleading.

For a Super keybinding on my keyboard, some Emacs auto-keybinding
program would have detect that it has two keys labeled `Alt', that
they are different, and that the right handed one should be rebound to
Super.

On a keyboard with an Alt or Meta key that is misleadingly labeled
`Windows', the Emacs keybinding program must rebind it to Super, but
only if there is more than one Meta key.

Perhaps David Kastrup is right to suggest that by default, a `Meta-s'
prefix be provided for people who lack a Super key, and that default
alternative be a part of all the documentation, so that when you read
about centering a line you see this:

    (emacs)Fill Commands

    The command `S-s' (`center-line') (or if you lack a Super key,
    `M-s c') centers the current line ...

or when your are reading about setting a face, you see this:

    (emacs)Format Faces

    `S-b' (or if you lack a Super key, `M-s g b')
         Set the region, or the next inserted character, to the `bold' face
         (`facemenu-set-bold').

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden