Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:32:17 +0200

Saluton, Moin,

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> skribis:

>     > What if I then type C-x `?  Will it got to the following error,
>     > or will it move down until it finds an error I have not yet visited?
>
>     That is exactly the distinction made by the compilation-skip-visited
>     option. You can have one behaviour or the other.
>
> Now I understand.  The doc string was not clear to me.
>
> I am now certain that setting compilation-skip-visited to t is NOT the
> right way to handle consecutive errors on one source line.  It has
> other effects that I would not want.
>
> So compilation-skip-visited's default should remain nil,
> but we need another feature to recognize consecutive error messages
> on a single source line and disregard all but the first of them.
>
> Would you please implement that feature?  There could be an
> option to disable it.

Sure, but I'm still not clear on what contiguous should mean.  What if there
are ten contiguous mentions of a location, but the *compilation* window is
only five lines high?  I'd still be skipping five unseen messages.  What if
the window is not visible?  Remember how much of it was displayed when last
going to an error?

How about intervening lines, as a compiler at work gives me?  Are these still
contiguous:

a.c:9: bla bla
        bla bla happened here:
        y = f( x );
                 ^
a.c:9: foo bar ...

I guess we'd need to limit the height of a contiguous block to the (most
recently) visible lines, and ignore anything else there is within that area.
And we'd need the remember the recently visited locations.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/