Re: diff-apply-hunk broken

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: diff-apply-hunk broken
Date: 29 Mar 2004 09:19:24 -0500

> Looks good to me.  Two questions, though: a local diff and a remote diff
> now look exactly the same in the buffer.

Actually, no: the remote diff has some extra lines before the diff itself.
At least with CVS it does.  But: why do you care?

> Perhaps it would be good to add something like "(local)" after the version
> number, in a way that wouldn't confuse diff-mode (or patch, for that
> matter)?  Just a thought.

I don't see the need, but anything after the first TAB can be changed at
will (i.e. you can remove the date or replace it with something else, for
example).

> Second, I couldn't find documentation for the "-L" option in the GNU
> diff manual, although it is quite happy with that option (--label, which
> seems equivalent, is documented).

The manpage definitely mentions -L as does `diff --help'.

> Do you have any idea about the general availability of -L in other
> diff implementations?

It's also there in Mac OS X (which is using a version derived from BSD,
which is itself derived from an older GNU code it seems) which is the only
non-GNU system to which I have access.

Actually, the -L args are used in smerge-mode since Emacs-21.1 and I haven't
heard any complaint about it.  Admittedly, I'd expect much fewer people use
smerge-mode's diff than VC's diff, so maybe it's not so simple.

        Stefan