Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: new compile command doesn't coalesce errors on the same line
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:56:54 -0500

    Sure, but I'm still not clear on what contiguous should mean.  What if there
    are ten contiguous mentions of a location, but the *compilation* window is
    only five lines high?

The height of the window should not matter.  The old code would have
skipped them, and nobody ever complained about that.  Perhaps because
users don't often use such short windows.  Or if they do, and the
errors about one line reach the bottom, they scroll it.

    How about intervening lines, as a compiler at work gives me?  Are these
still
    contiguous:

    a.c:9: bla bla
            bla bla happened here:
            y = f( x );
                     ^
    a.c:9: foo bar ...

If the old code treated them as contiguous, please preserve that behavior.
This is simple.