Re: diff-apply-hunk broken

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: diff-apply-hunk broken
Date: 30 Mar 2004 18:28:22 -0500

> I find it valuable feedback when I can see at a glance whether a diff
> was computed locally or remotely.  A simple example where it might help
> is this: A user makes a mistake setting up his vc-cvs-stay-local
> variable.  As a result, he gets remote diffs when he actually wants them
> to be local.  If he can't tell from the output what happened, it might
> be difficult for him to realize the problem.

If he can't tell from the time it took, then does the difference matter ?

> But if the disply is still different anyway, that's enough of a visual
> clue I think.

I'm not wedded to the current format, so feel free to change it.
I just chose an existing format to minimize people's surprise.

>> > Second, I couldn't find documentation for the "-L" option in the GNU
>> > diff manual, although it is quite happy with that option (--label, which
>> > seems equivalent, is documented).
>> The manpage definitely mentions -L as does `diff --help'.

> What version are you referring to?  In GNU diffutils 2.8.1-6 (Debian
> unstable), diff -L is neither mentioned in the manpage, the info manual,
> nor diff --help.  The -L option is mentioned, however, for diff3 (in all
> three places).  As far as I can tell, 2.8.1 is the most recent version.
> Please confirm whether you have a version where diff -L is documented.
> Otherwise, I'll file a bug report to the diffutil guys.

On a RedHat 9 system:

   ~-0% uname -a
   Linux asado.iro.umontreal.ca 2.4.20-30.9 #1 Wed Feb 4 20:44:26 EST 2004 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux
   ~-0% diff --version
   diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.1

   Ce programme est fourni sans AUCUNE GARANTIE, tel que permis par la loi.
   Vous pouvez le redistribuer selon les termes de « GNU General Public License
»,
   lire le texte du fichier COPYING pour plus de détails.

   Écrit par Paul Eggert, Mike Haertel, David Hayes,
   Richard Stallman et Len Tower.
   ~-0% man diff | grep .-L
          -L étiquette
   ~-0% LANG=C man diff | grep .-L
          -L label
   ~-0%

On a Mac:

   ~-0% uname -a
   Darwin empanada.local 7.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.3.0: Fri Mar  5 14:22:55
PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.3.15.obj~4/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc
   ~-0% diff --version
   diff - GNU diffutils version 2.7
   ~-0% man diff | grep ".-L"
          -L label