Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:57:07 +0200

Saluton,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> skribis:

> >> We should maybe just introduce a new `compilation-current-error' marker
>
> > And add compilation-current-error to overlay-arrow-variable-list :-)
>
> Now there's an idea.

overlay-arrow-variable-list seems to be a very embryonic feature.  While you
can put more than one variable into it, only the first occurence in the buffer
actually gets a little arrow in the fringe.  And even though there is a string
use instead on non-window frames, the feature is not even present on a
text-terminal.  And it only works at BOL, whereas error-messages are now
recognized anywhere on a line, even one behind another.

So I'll have to use my own overlay.  I'm wondering if flashing this for half a
second, like the jumped to position, is useful.  While that is more of a toy,
since the cursor lands there anyways, highlighting the message seems to be an
essential feature for some people.  If you get distracted after Cx- ` you can
easily miss this within half a second — especially if it takes a second to
fetch a remote file first.

Maybe I should combine half a second with a pre command hook?  Or leave it
until another message gets located?

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/