Re: Strange problem with latest CVS

From: Matt Hodges
Subject: Re: Strange problem with latest CVS
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:26:23 +0100

 > I just rebuilt emacs with a CVS chackout of this week
 > (src/Changelog has 30 Mar 15:38) and got a strange problem with VM
 > that I use as mail reader.

 > When I hit a message that ends with an attachment thereafter every
 > message that I see has all text with the gui-button face. (This is
 > the VM Presentation buffer)

 > I think this is caused because the end of the buffer has this face,
 > and VM reuses the buffer, clears it and fills it with the new
 > message. Apparently the face is sticking with the empty buffer and
 > is then inherited by the new text. Maybe this change is causing it:

I think emacs-w3m hits the same problem. Overlays from 1 to 1 in
otherwise empty buffers span 1 to (point-max) after insertion of text;
previously (before the change you mention, I think) such overlays
still spanned 1 to 1 after insertion of text. See:

          <URL:http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/ml/msg06543.html>

One such overlay has these properties:

 (help-echo nil mouse-face w3m-form-button-mouse-face face w3m-form-button-face
keymap
            (keymap
             (13 . widget-button-press)
             (down-mouse-2 . widget-button-click)
             (backtab)
             (S-tab)
             (9))
            button
            (w3m-form-button :delete widget-leave-text :w3m-form-action
                             (w3m-form-submit
                              [w3m-form-object get
"http://www.google.com/search"; nil urlencoded
                                               (hl
                                                (:value "en")
                                                ie
                                                (:value "ISO-8859-1")
                                                (:value "xmakemol")
                                                btnG
                                                (:value nil)
                                                btnI
                                                (:value nil))]
                              "btnG" "Google Search")
                             :from #<marker
                             (moves after insertion)
                             at 3668 in *w3m*> :to #<marker at 1 in *w3m*>
:button-overlay #<overlay from 97 to 3668 in *w3m*>))

Matt