Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 01 Apr 2004 10:53:18 +0900

> > I intensely dislike this sort of `ah modes can just rebind the key' way of
> > avoiding a level of indirection, because often I use different global
> > bindings that normal
>
> I'm on your camp here regarding having explicit levels of indirection.
>
> Still, I don't find your example compelling at all, because the given
> examples are not equivalent. I can imagine a (more or less) all-purpose
> `fill-paragraph', but it's less easy to imagine an all-purpose
> `done-editing-now-do-it'

You may very well be right in this case; I was mostly just trying to say
that in the case where there _is_ a generic function that occasionally
is overridden by modes &c, rebinding of the default key-sequence is not
a good override mechanism.

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products