Re: autorevert and vc

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: autorevert and vc
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:46:36 -0600 (CST)

Jari Aalto wrote:

   | On the other hand, the problem only occurs while editing the same
   | version controlled buffer from two distinct Emacs buffers.  Why waste
   | _any_ CPU if one knows that that situation is not going to occur?

   I give an example where occurs.

I was not contesting that the situation _can_ occur.  To state more
precisely what I meant:

Why should a particular user waste any CPU if that user knows that the
situation is not going to occur for him?

Since yesterday evening, there is a customizable variable
auto-revert-check-vc-info that works for all supported VC systems.
Setting it to t will update all VC info every auto-revert-interval
seconds.  The default is nil.  In personal rudimentary testing, it did
not seem to consume terribly much CPU for RCS and CVS.  I tested on a
1.7 GHZ dual Xeon.  I did not test the four other supported systems.
I do not know anything about them.  I did not yet write a NEWS entry,
but I will.

If there would be performance problems for certain VC systems, one
could try to take care of them, for instance using Stefan's idea of a
`vc-stale-state-p' function.

Sincerely,

Luc.