Re: Compilation to native

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Compilation to native
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:12:43 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>  >     I thought about a different approach: predefined CCL programs
>>  >     could be statically converted into C code and compiled by a C
>>  >     compiler into Emacs core.
>>
>>  > It is worth a try.  On the other hand, I have to wonder
>>  > if the CCL interpreter could be faster.
>>
>>  I think there's not much room of improvement in the CCL
>>  interpreter (i.e. the function ccl_driver).
>>
>>  In addtion, in emacs-unicode, CCL is, by default, used only
>>  for Ethiopic font encoding, and it can easily be changed not
>>  to use CCL.
>>
>>  So, I think it's not that worth working on CCL interpreter.

> If we have a development plan to switch to emacs-unicode soon.  We
> really need to get a grip about what should be in the next feature
> release.

> If the unicode and bidi branches are considerable usable, what are we
> waiting for?

I think Unicode branch is fairly usable in normal use.  At
least it's stable enough for my daily work.  But if it is
used with third party packages, I think some of them must be
adjusted for emacs-unicode.

Bidi branch is far from usable.  I created that branch
mainly for that the other people can contribute.  It's very
difficult to find a time to work on it for me.

> We are in the situation that currently for many purposes one has to
> tell people "try using CVS".  People get more and more to rely on it
> for daily work.  This situation is unhealthy.  If things like
> emacs-unicode and emacs-bidi are expected to cause longer-lasting
> trouble, then we should crank out something like a full-featured 21.5
> or so just before merging them.  If the merge phase leads to longer
> problems, we at least have a somewhat stable release to refer people
> to while we are sorting the problems out.

> If, on the other hand, users and developers of the unicode and bidi
> branches are confident enough that under _normal_ use (i.e., if one
> does not use bidi texts) stability should not be affected much, then
> I'd say "what the heck, give it to us".  Maintaining separate branches
> for longer always leads to merging headaches.

I fully agree.

When I synchronized emacs-unicode branch to HEAD a half year
ago, it took about 10 days concentrated work.  I think it
will need the same amount of work to merge emacs-unicode to
HEAD.  If Richard says "go ahead", I'll manage to make that
time.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden