Re: Compilation to native

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Compilation to native
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 01:52:43 +0200

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> I think Unicode branch is fairly usable in normal use.  At
> least it's stable enough for my daily work.  But if it is
> used with third party packages, I think some of them must be
> adjusted for emacs-unicode.

I used HEAD for several months, and have since switched to the unicode
branch for several months.  I still experience a crash or two a month,
which is bad, but I cannot say I noticed any difference between the
two.

As for third party packages, I'm using the unicode branch with Gnus
and ERC (IRC client) for heavy duty work every day, so clearly I think
the Unicode branch is ready for merging, feature freeze, testing, and
release as soon as possible.

I must confess, however, that I have hoped all this time that the bidi
branch would be merged into the unicode branch, and that we'd release
the stuff as Emacs 22...  Even fickle Arabic and Hebrew support is
better than no support at all...  And for all it's worth, I've used
the bidi branch for IRC as well!  :)

Alex.
--
.O.  http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/