Re: Mistakes in TUTORIAL.fr

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Mistakes in TUTORIAL.fr
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:16:59 +0300

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> Unfortunately, in the french tutorial no ending period is
>> followed by two spaces.  This makes the command "M-e"
>> impossible to test although the french reader is invited to
>> do so:

>>    Puis tapez quelques M-a et quelques M-e.
>
> Thank you for finding this problem.  We should fix it.  But
> how?
>
> Putting one more space after periods in TUTORIAL.fr is easy.
>
> But, if double spaces after a period looks very ugly or
> intolerable typing method for French people (I don't know
> anything about French typesetting),

I guess that if the translation has a single space after a period
it was made according to typesetting rules of that language.

> we may have to change sentence-end in the TUTORIAL.fr buffer.

There is a better variable to do this: `sentence-end-double-space'.
It could be set to nil in local variables.

There are also other translations that have a single space:
TUTORIAL.pl TUTORIAL.ru TUTORIAL.sl TUTORIAL.sv TUTORIAL.th.
Perhaps we should add this local variable for them as well.

It seems strange that the Thai translation has a period and a single
space at the end of sentences.  There is a special variable
`sentence-end-without-period' with docstring telling that a sentence
in Thai text ends with double space, but without a period.  Probably
at the time when the translation was done this variable was not
available in Emacs yet.  Shouldn't a period and space in the Thai file
be replaced by double space?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/