Re: Mistakes in TUTORIAL.fr

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Mistakes in TUTORIAL.fr
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:00:56 +0000 (UTC)

   But, if double spaces after a period looks very ugly or
   intolerable typing method for French people (I don't know
   anything about French typesetting), we may have to change
   sentence-end in the TUTORIAL.fr buffer.

Hmm...  I don't know anything about French typing conventions.
However, some Web browsers display text with only one space at the
ends of sentences, even if they are created with two spaces at the
ends of sentences.  GNU Emacs W3M mode converts pages created with two
spaces to pages with one space.

This is a bother.  Do we want to create a mode of some sort that sets
`sentence-end' and `sentence-end-double-space' to the appropriate
values for Emacs?

Then the top of TUTORIAL.fr could include   -*-fr-text*-
or even better something like   -*-single-space-text-*-
that would work with Web pages, too.

On the other hand, I strongly favor the `two spaces at the ends of
sentences' convention since it does make editing and reading easier.
Also, a typesetting program such as TeX does insert more space between
sentences than letters, at least for my English language writings.

    As I slowly update it,                     address@hidden
        I rewrite a "What's New" segment for   http://www.rattlesnake.com