problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs
Date: 10 Apr 2004 12:20:20 +0900

I notice several cases where things fail on an emacs compiled without X
support, because they call `easy-menu-add', and it calls `x-popup-menu'
which isn't defined when X support is disabled.  I don't recall such
failures the last time I tried to make a no-X emacs, so maybe something
has changed recently.

Specifically:

  (1) If I try to compose mail with `mail-user-agent' set to
      message-user-agent, I get the following backtrace:

        Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function x-popup-menu)
          x-popup-menu(nil (keymap "Message" (sort\ headers menu-item "Sort ...
          easy-menu-add((keymap "Message" (sort\ headers menu-item "Sort He ...
          message-mode()
          message-pop-to-buffer("*mail*")
          message-mail(nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
          compose-mail(nil nil nil nil)
        * call-interactively(compose-mail)

      I'd think `easy-menu-add' should work regardless of X or no X,
      but it indeed calls x-popup-menu.

  (2) _Compiling_ `progmodes/ada-prj.el' fails, because it does (require
      'ada-mode), and progmodes/ada-mode.el contains a top-level call to

         (ada-create-menu)

      and `ada-create-menu' calls easy-menu-add.

Oddly, `easy-menu-add' contains the comment that "This is a nop on
emacs", but obviously it isn't!

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche