Re: Patch for Re: bibtex-mode and "format region" incredibly slow

From: John Owens
Subject: Re: Patch for Re: bibtex-mode and "format region" incredibly slow
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:33:17 -0700

Awesome. That patch worked great. Kindly consider adopting it for
good.

Another difference between 21.3 and the CVS version is sorting
behavior. In 21.3 if you "sort region" in bibtex-mode it just sorts
it, no questions asked. In the CVS version it errors with
"bibtex-sort-buffer: You must choose a sorting scheme".

To choose a sorting scheme you must set
bibtex-maintain-sorted-entries. This does not seem intuitive to me. If
a user wants to sort manually but NOT maintain sorted entries (as I
can do in 21.3), that's not possible unless this variable is set. It
would seem to me that bibtex-maintain-sorted-entries should be t or
nil and bibtex-sorting-scheme should be what b-m-s-e is now (either
"plain", "crossref", or "entry-class", and perhaps defaulting to
"plain").

JDO