Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:34:03 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> The problem is not only with dedicated windows but also with
> minibuffer-windows.
>
> In my experience most uses of switch-to-buffer inside code
> (i.e. as a function) lead to problems in setups such as mine
> (i.e. with a separate minibuffer-only frame and with many dedicated
> windows).
>
> And the problem is made worse because there is currently no function that
> does what we want in such case, i.e. "show buffer B, preferably in the
> current window".

A related (?) issue:

emacs -q --no-site-file --eval "(setq calendar-setup 'calendar-only)"
M-x calendar
C-h k d                ; in the calendar buffer

doesn't show the help, but gives the error "Window is dedicated to
`*Calendar*'".

It seems to be a `with-output-to-temp-buffer' problem - if called
from a dedicated window it barfs when trying to display the temp
buffer.