Re: Highlighting in grep buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Highlighting in grep buffer
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:45:44 +0300

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> It's sometimes the case that people use different color schemes
> (light-on-dark vs dark-on-light) in shells (whether inside Emacs or not) and
> in (other) Emacs windows. It's possible, at least.
>
> It would be preferable IMHO for Emacs users to be able to control Emacs
> highlighting 100% within Emacs. They should at least be able to override
> (using, e.g., Emacs user variables) any built-in GNU-grep highlighting
> behavior (e.g. color scheme) that Emacs might take advantage of.
>
> That is, why not have Emacs use its own color variables, which could
> *default* to the grep environment variables - rather than just using the env
> vars directly?

I agree.  A set of ANSI colors is too limited and doesn't match Emacs
colors.  I think we should always set "GREP_COLOR" to the default
value "01;31" and replace the known ANSI sequences containing the
constant default marker in the grep output by a user-defined Emacs face.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/