Re: Moving handlers out of desktop.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Moving handlers out of desktop.el
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:15:25 +0300

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> This could be done independently from the first item.
>
> But it does not make sense without putting the handlers where they
> belong.  And where the byte compiler will warn if they are using bad
> variables and so on.  And where they'll be autoloaded along with the
> respective mode only when they are needed.

I agree with your arguments.  And just for the same reasons I suggested
to create generalized functions in respective modes.

Currently, mode handling functions in desktop.el have references
to desktop global variables desktop-buffer-misc, desktop-buffer-file-name,
desktop-buffer-name, etc.  These variables should stay in desktop.el.
And new mode handling functions should be created in respective modes
with no free references to desktop variables.  The values should be
given to these general functions only via function arguments.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/