Re: Compilation to native

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Compilation to native
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:12:48 +0300

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> In addtion, in emacs-unicode, CCL is, by default, used only
> for Ethiopic font encoding, and it can easily be changed not
> to use CCL.

I tested the unicode branch a little.  Visiting a UTF-8 file
is very fast: a 20MB file under 2 sec!  (Actually, no wonder if
it's Emacs internal encoding).  Visiting a non-ASCII non-UTF-8
file is faster than on the trunk, but still is too slow:
a 7MB file in 30 sec.  Even though the unicode branch doesn't
use CCL programs, visiting a file in map-encoded charsets
needs more improvement.

Generally, the unicode branch seems stable on GNU/Linux.
I have noticed only a few bugs like, for example, sometimes
displaying a row of
address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@ characters instead
of file names in dired buffers, and some minor problems,
for example, not finding fonts that the trunk version
is able to find.

Sorry, I can't test it by everyday use because it lacks
new features added to the trunk.  I hope it will be merged
with the trunk soon (after preserving the current trunk
on a separate branch, of course).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/