Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: 14 Apr 2004 12:04:58 +0200

> Stefan Reichör <address@hidden> writes:
> > I have the following use for the C-h bindings from the minibuffer:
> > C-h b to describe the bindings

I also use C-h k quite often.

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it would be bad to have F1 and C-h be sometimes the same and
> sometimes different.

Agree.

> Here's an idea:  Use the normal binding for `describe-function' (`C-h f',
> or `F1 f') and either have it directly pop up the help for the currently
> executing command (i.e., don't prompt for a function name as usual), or
> else prompt as usual, but set the default value for the prompt to the
> function currently executing command (so that you'd typically use `C-h f
> RET' to get help in the situation you describe).  Since users will probably
> be used to `C-h f' to get function help in other contexts, it should be
> easier to remember in the minibuffer too.

That would be ok.

Other possibilities are:

C-h . => help at point
         This could behave differently if point is in minibuffer, as
         there is usually no specific help "at point" in there.

C-h m => mode specific help (minibuffer specific help)
         I often use this to get help specific to the current context,
         so extending this to understand "minibuffer context" seems
         logical to me.

C-h C-h => maybe we don't need the "help menu" when operating on the
         minibuffer