Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:24:23 +0200

On Sun, Feb 15 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>> If we need a branch, shouldn't it be in _Emacs_ CVS to test the
>> integration (e.g. check that new files have to be added to CVS, ...)?
>> I wonder how the merge has been done last time.  I'd like to help with
>> it, but probably it would make more sense if someone with write access
>> to Emacs CVS does the first (big) step.
>
> Instead of CVS, you could use tla (aka `arch') and my emacs arch branch,
> which is synchronized with the emacs CVS trunk.
>
> tla allows (painlessly) distributed repositories, and generally uses a
> `pull' model, so write access to a central repository isn't necessary.
> It is also much better at merging than CVS.

Do I understand you correctly that if I managed to merge Gnus into an
arch archive of Emacs, you would sync the archive to Emacs CVS trunk?

I've never used tla before.  I installed it now and will read some
introductory documentation soon (from wiki.gnuarch.org).  It would be
very helpful for me if you could give me a brief (or even better: not
so brief ;-)) description of the necessary steps.

> One part of this is that I've added `taglines' to all the emacs source
> files (in CVS), which make it easy to assign a unique identity to each
> file (even if the name changes).
>
> If you'd accept a patch against Gnus CVS to add taglines, this would
> make future merging using tla easier.

I cannot speak for Lars, but I don't think he would refuse.  Lars?
(If Lars agrees on this, I can commit your patches to Gnus CVS).

> This is slightly trickier than with a new project, because Gnus and
> Emacs conceptually _share_ files (even though the actual contents may
> vary), so it would be best to use the _same_ tagline for the same file
> in both Gnus and Emacs.

Apart from the trunk, we have a branch "v5-10" for the 5.10 series.
Probably they should be added in both branches?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)