Re: lisp/url/url-https.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lisp/url/url-https.el
Date: 14 Apr 2004 18:09:49 -0400

> I am willing to work with any standards Emacs has, but there has to be
> some way to allow a willing user to plug in encryption code easily
> into Gnus, once that code is downloaded.  As it is, and according to
> what you have told Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen and he has relayed to the
> Gnus developers, not even empty wrapper functions that could be used
> for encryption are allowed.  That makes my life much harder.

My understanding is that the problems only show up for code that's meant
specifically for encryption.
So you should be able to provide hooks as long as they are not specifically
for encryption.

I know nothing about your specific problem so I'm probably talking
non-sense, but why should .authinfo and Gnus be so special?

Can't we write a generic "auto-decrypt-mode" which works similarly to
auto-compress-mode (or maybe even a patch to auto-compress-mode which
allows "compression using gpg") ?
This package wouldn't be distributable with Emacs but it doesn't have
anything specific to do with Gnus and can distributed separately
(e.g. from a non-US location).

Or maybe we can even make the patch to jka-compr.el generic enough (allow
"(de)compression with a program that requires interactive user input")
to make it acceptable for inclusion in Emacs.

Wait isn't something like that already available?

And then somehow make sure Gnus can be customized to use .authinfo.gz (or
.authinfo.gpg).

        Stefan