Re: Strange problem with latest CVS

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange problem with latest CVS
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:54:01 -0400

    >     It seems that (at least) widgets related code doesn't set evaporate to
    >     their overlays(*). My question was whether I should fix it.
    >     Now, your answer is obvious. I will fix it.
    >
    > No!  These overlays should not evaporate.
    > If they evaporate, the form won't work any more.

    Unless I misunderstand, they will evaporate only when the underlying
    buffer content gets deleted to prepare the buffer for insertion of new
    contents.

As I understand it, each overlay covers one field,
and if the field becomes empty, the overlay will evaporate.

               The old overlays/buttons are then completely useless to
    keep around.

Is that really true?  If the user adds more text in the field, isn't
the overlay supposed to cover that new text?