Re: lisp/url/url-https.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lisp/url/url-https.el
Date: 15 Apr 2004 09:42:22 -0400

> There is crypt++, but when it was discussed in the context of Gnus, I
> think it was decided it was not really good enough, the programmatic
> elisp API insufficient, and that we could never get copyright papers
> for it anyway.  I believe it was suggested to make a generic package
> for this.  This same problem does indeed occur in many situations.  I
> thought, but perhaps I have just been secretly wishing it, that Ted
> was working on something like that.

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough: I was talking about writing
a generic package (like crypt++) such that Gnus does not need to know about
encryption at all (i.e. the package uses generic hooks so Gnus does not need
to call it explicitly.  At most Gnus would just need a way to specify
a different file name than ~/.authinfo, which is probably already the case).

        Stefan