Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Jumping to C source from *Help*
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:36:41 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

> with-output-to-temp-buffer definitely should display its buffer
> somewhere else when used in a dedicated window. But I am surprised
> it fails. It does not normally try to display in the selected
> window.

In a vanilla Emacs, I define the following functions:

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)
  (select-frame (make-frame '((unsplittable . t))))
  (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) 'foo))

(defun bar ()
  (interactive)
  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*temp*"
    (princ "text")))

I then call M-x foo, make sure the new frame is selected, then call
M-x bar. Result: "Window is dedicated to `*scratch*'", and no temp
buffer is displayed.