Re: enhancement to M-x telnet

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: enhancement to M-x telnet
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:01:44 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I frequently use telnet to check connections to other hosts, and as such I
> need to specify an alternative port number to connect to.
>
> The following patch allows you to append the port number to the hostname,
> e.g.
>         M-x telnet RET gnu.org:80 RET

Have you thought about the implication of IPv6 an this implementation?
I know that Emacs's process.c can actually handle IPv6 connections
already.  What if a user wants to enter an IPv6 address.
Your current code will do something very wrong in this case I think.

> An alternative interface would be to specify the port number as a numeric
> prefix arg, but that seems rather obscure IMO.

What about something like
(interactive (list (read-string "Host: ")
                   (if current-prefix-arg
                       (read-string "Port: ")
                     "23")))

--