Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:09:07 +0100

Kim F. Storm wrote:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

PNG images support transparency.  Emacs can't make use of it.  You can
only have Emacs declare a particular color as transparent.  This is
dissatisfactory.  It should tell the PNG decoding routines Emacs'
background color for the purpose of transparency.

Using `:mask heuristic' should make the image background transparent.
The tool-bar code uses this.

I don't think :mask heuristic has anything to do with PNG transparency. It is for heuristically determining the background color of a non-transparent image, in order to make it transparent.

That said, PNG transparency used to just work back when I was porting image support to Windows.