Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:41:49 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>  % cd .../emacs-trunk
>>  % cvs tag handa-temp-tag
>>  % cd .../emacs-unicode-2
>>  % cvs update -j emcas-unicode-2-base -j handa-temp-tag
>>  % cvs commit -m 'Sync to HEAD'
>>  % cd .../emacs-trunk
>>  % cvs tag -F -r handa-temp-tag emacs-unicode-2

> Seems right (except for the `emcas' typo and the fact that the last command
> should set emacs-unicode-2-base rather than emacs-unicode-2, but I expect
> these were copy-errors and you use the right commands ;-).

Ah, yes.  They are my typo (I manually typed above, not
copy&past).

>>  So, now all files in emacs-unicode-2 branch have arch tags.
>>  But, I've never used arch.  Could you tell me the exact
>>  procedure to use arch for synchronizing?

> Well, you'll have to create an Arch branch first.

>>  Is it surely easier than the above procedure for CVS?

> Once the branch is setup, merging is much easier because the management of
> emacs-unicode-2-base is basically all done for you.  You'll just do

>    tla star-merge --three-way address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0

> to merge in changes from the cvs-trunk.

Thank you.  I don't know what is "Arch branch", how to
create it.  In addition, I couldn't install "tla-1.2" on my
Debian.  I downloaded it from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-arch/.

The configure script showed this error:
% ../configure --prefix /usr/local/work/tmp

The configured versions of diff and diff3 do not handle files
not ending in newline correctly.

  configured diff = diff.
  configured diff3 = diff3.

Use config options
  --with-gnu-diff PROG
  --with-gnu-diff3 PROG

  NOTE: especially on BSD-derived systems, you will want
   to grab a recent version of GNU diff and compile it for use
   with those config options.   You don't need to replace
   the native diff tools on your system, but you do need to
   configure tla specially.   Sorry about that -- some BSDs
   have made a poor decision about their native diffs.

   (Example systems: some NetBSD, FreeBSD, and MacOS versions.)

At least, as I found a manual in it, I'm reading it now.

>>  By the way, the last step above aborted as below.
>>  [...]
>>  T src/s/vms4-4.h
>>  T src/s/vms5-5.h
>>  T src/s/windows95.h
>>  T src/s/xenix.h
>>  cvs server: Tagging vms
>>  T vms/README
>>  T vms/make-mms-derivative.el
>>  cvs [server aborted]: "tag" requires write access to the repository
>>  Could someone tell me what it means?

> No idea.  Can you try again?
> Since `cvs tag handa-temp-tag' worked, I'd assume that it was just
> a transient bug.  Otherwise, it means that some permissions are messed up,
> which seems odd.

I found that "cvs tag handa-temp-tag" also showed this at
the tail.

[...]
T src/s/xenix.h
cvs server: Tagging vms
T vms/README
T vms/make-mms-derivative.el
cvs [server aborted]: "tag" requires write access to the repository

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden