Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 17 Apr 2004 21:24:17 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> > Emacs should have a way to scroll through an image, so that C-v each
> > time can advance one window-height through the image.
>
> I strongly support this!  Normally, I use a 24x12 bitmap font;
> together with preview-latex this gives quite big images which are
> really tedious to navigate within Emacs.

Well, one solution would be to get preview-latex to shrink images
automatically to a maximum size.  However, it your preview indeed is
quite taller than wide, this renders it unreadable.  Also, having
larger equation blocks shrink to fit some small widown height will
make them not line up with other equations.

By the way: there are also large performance problems with
mouse-highlighting and cursor blinking on images: while they are most
visible with larger-than-window images, it is also apparent that
while the border line of the box cursor is blinking, the area of even
small images is intermittently in background color, so it would
appear that it is overdrawn in white and then replaced again.  On a
local display, this might be tolerable for small images.  Over a
low-bandwidth connection and/or with large images, this is a problem.