Re: Should we move 20.x related stuff out of NEWS ?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Should we move 20.x related stuff out of NEWS ?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:26:32 +0000 (GMT)

On 18 Apr 2004, Kim F. Storm wrote:

>Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

>> >Surely, the user can type C-c C-u after every isearch result.  The
>> >problem is only in its inconvenience.  C-c C-u doesn't leave mark at
>> >previous position, so it's not easy to return to previous position to
>> >continue isearch.

>> A bit like C-M-a.  Admitted, that is an inconvenience.  And it remains
>> irksome, even after having got into the habit of doing C-u <space> before
>> each C-c C-u.  ;-(

>To me it seems sensible for C-c C-u to set a mark before jumping for
>the first time, while repeating C-c C-u immediately shouldn't set a
>mark.

>WDOT?

C-M-u (in programming modes) doesn't set the mark, and this is (for me at
any rate) correct.  I don't want my mark stack flooded out with
uninteresting places, typically 20 or 10 or fewer lines apart.

On the other hand, I've often wondered whether C-M-a ought to set the
mark.  I often do a C-u C-<space> first.  Maybe I should try advising
C-M-[ae] to set the mark.

I don't use Outline mode much (in fact only for reading NEWS).  Is C-c
C-u more like C-M-u or more like C-M-a?  Maybe `beginning-of-defun'
should jump to the highest level enclosing heading in outline mode, and
maybe it should set the mark, too.  It would be trivial to code, since
there's a hook already there specially for this purpose
(`beginning-of-defun-function').

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
address@hidden