Re: Display-local settings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Display-local settings
Date: 19 Apr 2004 13:49:25 -0400

> I think I should mention that the behaviour of make-frame has changed
> a bit in the multi-tty branch: `frame-creation-function' has been
> replaced by a window system-dependent `frame-creation-function-alist'.
> (I know it's an ugly incompatible change--providing an equivalent
> compatible solution is on my todo list.)

I'm not sure how important is compatibility here: I always thought of this
variable as an internal one used to communicate between the C and Elisp
part of the frame management code.

> But changing the frame creation method is perhaps not the best way to
> approach this particular problem: if a Lisp package really does need
> to do window-system specific frame initialization, then I think it
> should simply hook into after-make-frame-functions, like this:

Sounds right.  As long as this is used early enough that modifying the
size/position/etc... does not cause any user-visible
resizing/repositioning/...

        Stefan