Re: Image support for Carbon Emacs (Re: Consolidation of image support)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Image support for Carbon Emacs (Re: Consolidation of image support)
Date: 20 Apr 2004 11:16:29 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> >   Current status:
> >   - Unsupported image types: XPM and PostScript.
>
> Below is an XPM support patch for Carbon Emacs.  It does not depend on
> libXpm, but only supports XPM version 3 without extensions.

Let me just pipe in to say that whoever thinks of putting in any work
to make "PostScript" a supported image type in the same manner as it
is in other platforms, should not bother.

PostScript image support is close to unusable under X, anyway.
preview-latex <URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net>, while being
inspired by the availability of PostScript support, had to abandon
using it before the first release.  It is far too feeble and
inefficient to be of practical use for more than trivial tasks.  I
don't think it can be fixed reasonably, given its approach and
implementation.  And I doubt that there would be much of an
application for it, anyhow.

XPM is different, though: lots of icons are available in that format.