Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gnus 5.11 in Emacs CVS
Date: 21 Apr 2004 14:39:44 +0900

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Didn't work for me, because my
> > > --prefix=/import/xtra/emacs/Gnus_5_11_arch doesn't exist yet.
> >
> > Hmmm, it should work (I think) -- the emacs being run is not the installed
> > emacs, but src/bootstrap-emacs, and it should be getting its lisp files from
> > ../lisp.
>
> From a discussion in emacs-pretest-bug (approx. two weeks ago) I
> recall that this is not the case:
>   Subject: Use of system lisp when running freshly built emacs "in place".
>
> > BTW, are you building in the source tree, or using a separate build dir?
>
> I always build in the Emacs source directory.

I tried building from a fresh arch checkout, in the source-dir,
with a non-standard (and non-existant) --prefix:

   $ cd /usr/local/emacs
   $ tla get emacs--cvs-trunk--0 test
   $ cd test
   $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-test

   $ make bootstrap
        ...  (fails as before, trying to compile eshell/esh-module.el)

   $ src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile lisp/vc-arch.el

   In end of data:
   vc-arch.el:421:1:Warning: the function `vc-switches' might not be defined at
       runtime.
   Wrote /usr/local/src/emacs/test/lisp/vc-arch.elc

   $ make -C lisp bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
       ...   (all lisp files now successfully compile)

   $ make
       ...   (emacs finishes compiling correctly)

I'm not sure what's going on with your builds; maybe it's the long
pathnames, or your OS?  I'm using debian unstable on a 386 machine.

When you said that the line compiling vc-arch.el failed, what was the
error message?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein