Re: Emacs Explorer?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:26:17 +0200

I'd say its more important that this type of D&D can be turned off.
Either people are used to doing things this way, with all its faults,
or they are not, and don't want this feature.

Agreed.

This is probably the reason why Motif/CDE uses mouse-2 to drag. No risk of starting a drag when an ordinary click with mouse-1 was intended.

We could adopt that convention, but then it would only work within
Emacs, at least on Windows and I presume GTK, Qt and Mac, since the
system idea of dragging would be different than Emacs idea.

The way you start the drag (i.e. mouse-1, shift-mouse-1, mouse-2 e.t.c.)
usually does not matter at all, at least in X.  I would be surprised
if other systems had this limitation.

        Jan D.