Re: Grep and font-lock

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Grep and font-lock
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:21:44 -0400

    I assumed it didn't use all the faces internally and those could be
    turned
    off, and give the impression that font lock is off.  If that is not
    possible,
    I guess I have to redefine those faces.  However, NEWS should mention
    this, and perhaps list the names of the faces.  It is not obvious that
    faces starting with compile- also affects grep.

It would be nice if compile.el were set up to install other properties
for parsing purposes, instead of using the fonts for that.  The font lock
mechanism can be used to do this.

This way, it would be ok for users to turn the fontification on and
off in the usual ways, and it would not affect the parsing.