Re: Grep and font-lock

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Grep and font-lock
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:32:44 +0200

>     That being said, I think we should change the default of font-lock to
>     "on": new users consider it a great and helpful feature and are used
>     to getting it from their editors and on relying on this sort of syntax
>     analysis.
>
> Maybe you are right.  What do others think?

I think so too.  What would a reason for not enabling it by default
be?  I think today more users find font-lock helpful, compared to
those who don't.  Monochrome users have been said to dislike
font-locking in the past, but perhaps that can be fixed by simply
choosing better highlighting for monochrome?  I wouldn't think CPU or
memory requirements matter.