Re: ChangeLog computation with savannah: "cvs server: nothing known abou

From: Adrian Aichner
Subject: Re: ChangeLog computation with savannah: "cvs server: nothing known about ymakefile"
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:18:29 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I got sick of doing ChangeLog computes by hand;
>
> What are you referring to?
>
> Are you talking about creating ChangeLog entries out of the CVS log messages?
> If so, I recommend that you do it the other way around: write the ChangeLog
> entries first and then use C-c C-a in the *VC-log* (or *cvs-commit*) buffer
> to fetch them and format them for CVS.
>
> The ChangeLog format is more powerful/flexible so it's the better place to
> "do it by hand".  Also Emacs provides facilities to help you write
> ChangeLog entries (things like C-x 4 a which also work from a *vc-diff*
> buffer), whereas this has not been adapted (yet) to work with a *vc-log*
> or *cvs-commit* buffer.

The XEmacs package xemacs-devel contains patcher.el which goes quite
far in automating patch creation, regeneration, commital, and
documentation.  It easest the process a great deal by providing
project configurations that will keep track of various parameters of a
project (repository, patch email destination, changelog appearance,
etc.).

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:address@hidden