Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:26:44 +0200

If the second choice is made, Emacs code and manuals probably have to support different key binding sets, since the "Emacs standard" and "MacOS/MS Windows/Gnome/KDE consensus" are so far apart and conflicting. I know it is an enormous task to implement this fully, but I see no real choice (apart from 1).

I my dreams Emacs has these menu entries:

  Options->Key bindings->Emacs Classic
                       ->MS Windows
                       ->Modify current bindings

I would like to add to this menu, "Mac bindings", since undo/cut/copy/paste
is not done with C-z/C-x/C-c/C-v, on Max OS X.
The Apple key is used instead of the control key.  The Apple key is now
mapped to Meta in Emacs on Mac OS X, so it is a bit different change from
Unix or MS Windows.

Also, many applications on Mac OS X does handle C-a, C-e, C-f, C-p and
so on the way Emacs does.  For example, the mail application on Mac OSX,
where I write this, does scroll forward on C-v and handles movement
the Emacs way (at least C-f, C-b, C-e, C-a, C-p and C-n).  So does the
default text editor.

        Jan D.