Re: redundant redisplay

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: redundant redisplay
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:40:05 -0400

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:57:38AM -0700, Tak Ota wrote:
> Some recent change, which I cannot identify, affects the redisplay
> mechanism so that set-buffer-modified-p redisplays window contents
> redundantly.  It creates occasional annoying partial screen flashing
> as well as considerably slows down a buffer process which updates
> modeline frequently.

Hmmm, I've noticed that recent version of emacs have started flickering like
crazy in some circumstances, but haven't had much time to debug it.[*]

I mostly see this in Gnus *Summary ...* buffers: the whole (summary) window
will suddenly start flickering, and it seems that it's redrawing the entire
window constantly.

I don't know if this is connected with set-buffer-modified-p or not though.

[*] Insert my usual disclaimer that I use a fairly hacked emacs, and haven't
    tested whether this behavior occurs in vanilla emacs or not.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train