Re: User-reserved element in byte code vectors

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: User-reserved element in byte code vectors
Date: 28 Apr 2004 11:38:20 -0400

> It can be useful when compiling languages other than Emacs Lisp to
> byte code.  In my case, I'm writing a Common Lisp compiler, and it
> would be nice to store in the byte code vector things like a closure
> environment, a function name, the original lambda expression, and
> other meta data that Common Lisp can associate with a function object.

I'm beginning to better understand, thank you.

>From your examples, I get the impression that other than the closure's
environment you only need meta-data which can just as well be put in an
alist, so you just need 2 extra slots: one for the closure and one for the
extra slot.  Is that right?

        Stefan

PS: I'd argue that the closure's enviornment should be put as the first
element in the constants-vector rather than in a separate slot in the byte
code object: it makes closure construction slower and more clostly, but it
makes the function call faster (it's just a normal function call and you can
access the closure's vars directly from the byte code without explicitly
passing them as an extra argument).