Re: Dependencies in leim/Makefile.in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dependencies in leim/Makefile.in
Date: 29 Apr 2004 07:58:13 +0200

> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:42:02 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> TIT-GB=\
>       quail/CCDOSPY.elc       \
>       quail/Punct.elc         \
>       quail/QJ.elc            \
>       quail/SW.elc            \
>       quail/TONEPY.elc
>
> Are there anyway to generate a variable that is equivalent
> to this without writing it directly:

I don't know, but we could ask Paul D. Smith, the GNU Make maintainer.

> With Gnu make, it seems that we can do:
>
> TIT-GB-SOURCE := $(TIT-GB:quail/%.elc=CXTERM-DIC/%.tit)
>
> But, is such a variable substitution generally available?

One idea is to get rid of the prefix directory in the source file
names (CXTERM-DIC in this case), by putting those directories into
VPATH, and then use an implicit dependency ".tit.elc:" and leave it to
Make to find the *.tit files.  (Yes, I know that VPATH is also
unavailable in some flavors of Make, but I think it's more widespread
than the feature you used above.)

Even if no general solution is possible, we could use a GNU Make
specific one; that way, at least users of GNU Make will have a better
Makefile.