Re: outline.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: outline.el
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:44:28 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> The main purpose of Outline mode is to represent the outline
>> structure in a compact way.
>
> I never thought of it in this way.  Instead I thought it was about
> making the structure easier to see, understand, and navigate.
>
> Conciseness is one part of the way to do that, but if it's too compact it
> can make things harder to read.  The old code obviously didn't leave empty
> lines visible by mistake: it had special purpose code to make those lines
> visible.
>
> I don't have a strong preference between the two, but I expect some people
> will not like your new behavior (if for no other reason than habit).

I am sure empty lines are too spacious for outline mode.  They can
improve readability only for large contiguous text blocks such as
paragraphs, but in outline mode every heading is a separate line,
and empty lines even decrease its usability, because twice less
structure is visible at a time on the screen.

And even other outline packages don't show empty lines, too.

However, I can add a variable that will allow to show newlines
in outline-mode.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/