Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 02 May 2004 09:30:41 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> > > May 1st sounds very good to me,
> >
> > Too good to be true ?
>
> Um, as you seem to be adding many of the new features these days,
> why don't you tell us?

Hey, that was _before_ May 1, to get a nice feature set to iron out.
One that will make people happy for the next three years we need to
get a feature release out.

Ok, the image stuff seemingly has a few discussions with possible
interface changes pending, but the features themselves were in before
the feature freeze.  And that's the point of a freeze: gather things
that really should get it before that all at once, so that one can
the solidify on everything afterwards.

With regard to solidification, I think that many of Emacs' scrolling
functions should get more comfortable with large-height glyphs.  While
we should avoid last-minute before-release changes (which might
introduce deadlocks and similar), quite a bit of changes in that area
would qualify not as "features" but as bug fixes.  The feature is tall
lines, and it needs work to be considered close to proper.