Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:03:41 -0400

    New features can go into branches if really necessary.  And we already
    _have_ some things like lexical, bidi, multi-tty, unicode and so on in
    branches.  So it is not that this is a novelty.  But developers should
    get their head wrapped around getting Emacs into releasable state
    rather than bothering with new features now, if possible.

I agree--it is little use having a "freeze" in the trunk if most
developers turn their attention away from it.  To aim for a release,
we should focus on the work that needs to be done for a release.

The biggest separate jobs remaining are updating and checking the
manuals.